I am currently reading 42 Rules of Product Management. It is a great read and I highly recommend that you buy it.
- It is product management’s responsibility to identify customer problems worth solving. It is engineering’s role to identify technical solutions to those problems.
- Research helps you understand:
- Your customers,
- Your competitive marketplace,
- 4. Your own product
- Be careful. Requirements are like chili powder. A little goes a long way, and too much spoils the pot. (This refers to the market research requirements but we know that it applies to project/product requirements as well).
- To scope market research, you ask yourself – What are my questions? What am i going to do with the answers?
- Two week rule (by Marty Cagan author of Inspired- How to Create Products People Love ) – Never go more than two weeks without putting your product ideas in front of real users and customers
- Steve Blank’s quote in the book “In a startup, no facts exist inside the building, only opinions.”
Each chapter (a Rule) is filled with lots of golden nuggets. If you are doing a startup and building a product, you can learn a lot from this book.